Sunday, November 30, 2014

Rainbow Swirl Cupcakes

Rainbow...because I need it in my life right now.

I don`t even want to get out of my house. The weather is so wet and depressing. I honestly can`t say that winter (or, whatever, almost winter) is my time of the year. I just don`t enjoy the rain, the cold, cars splashing you because of the puddles, which by the way, are freakin` dirty! At least where I live.

So I made cupcakes...



But not just a regular cupcake with boring, mainstream vanilla frosting. I don`t like plain frosting, I need a kick! Instead, I made a fluffy, marshmallow (or meringue, whatever you want to call it) frosting, colored it the best way I could and piped it on the little cakes. Oh, and I was generous with it. Because I can and because I deserve.



Just take a moment to look at them! They are the most incredible cupcakes I`ve made so far. They are special in their little own way and honestly: aren`t they cute? I don`t need an answer. 

This recipe is so simple, yet so impressive. It`s just perfect for any occasion. Imagine how happy you could make your friend/family member if you made these for them.

Enough said, here`s the recipe:

Ingredients:
135 gr soft butter
135 gr white sugar
35 gr cream cheese
zest of 1 medium orange
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon honey
3 Tablespoons milk
300 gr white flour
pinch of salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda

Marshmallow frosting:
3 egg whites
200 gr sugar
pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
powder or gel food coloring (not liquid!), use whatever colors you prefer (I used red, yellow and blue)

Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 180 C/375 d F. Place cupcake paper liners in your muffin pan and set aside.

2.In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with the mixer on high speed for 5 minutes. Add the cream cheese and continue beating for another minute or so. 

3. Mix in the orange zest, the eggs, one at a time and the honey. Whip it good!

4. In a separate bowl, sift the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and add these ingredients to your previous butter-sugar-eggs mixture. Do it in 3 batched. Lastly, add the milk and mix for another minute.

5. Divide the batter evenly between the cavities and bake the cupcakes for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let them cool completely before frosting them.

Marshmallow Frosting:
1. In a heat-safe bowl, put your egg whites, salt and sugar. Set the bowl over a pot of simmering water, making sure that the bottom of the bowl does NOT come in contact with the hot water or you`ll have a mess, trust me. 

2. Using an electric mixer, whip these ingredients together at high speed until there are no more sugar granules to be felt. To test this, rub some of the mixture between your fingers. If you still have some sugar granules, continue whipping until they are gone.

3. Take the bowl off the heat and continue mixing on high until stiff peaks form and the bottom of the bowl feels neutral to the touch (close to room temperature). Add the vanilla extract.

4. To obtain the rainbow effect, divide the frosting evenly in 3 bowls. Add a different coloring to each bowl and mix well so that the frosting has an uniform color.

5. Holding your piping bag horizontally, try to "stack" the colors. Watch this video from Cupcake Jemma which will show you the trick.  Pipe the frosting on your cupcakes and dig in!



No comments:

Post a Comment